- KILLERTON -

Broadclyst Church

HOME PAGE : WEST COUNTRY
1 : Introduction to Killerton
2 : Killerton House and Gardens
3 : Killerton House Interior

4 : Killerton Chapel
5 : Broadclyst
6 : Clyston Mill

7 : Broadclyst Church
8 : Marker's Cottage
HOME PAGE : LIST-O-LINKS INDEX



BROADCLYST parish is exceptionally large, covering nearly fifteen square miles and including rich valley scenery, heath, and wooded hills such as Killerton and Ashclyst Forest.

Several of the farms date from before the Norman Conquest (e.g. Ashclyst Farm, Clyst Gerred Farm, West Clyst, Mosshayne, Columbjohn, and Eveleigh.) Many, such as Killerton, Churchill and Southbrook, date from shortly after Domesday.

In the year 1001 the village is said to have been burned down by Danish invaders.

The parish was for centuries full of ancient freeholders, of whom the most interesting (in view of their later history) were the Churchills, who took their name from Churchill in this parish as early as Henry II's time. This Churchill is almost certainly the original home of the present Churchill family.


THE CHURCH (St John the Baptist) has a fine 16th century west tower of the Somerset type, said to have served as a model for Cullompton. It also has many battlements, pinnacles and gargoyles.

The nave arcades of six bays have graceful piers surmounted by beautifully carved capitals.

The body of the church was probably rebuilt in the time of Bishop Stafford (1395-1419) as the Stafford knot appears on one of the capitals.

See more on the Devon County Council Website here .



The doorway to the main tower (right).

The bishop's gargoyle (below) is to be seen on the right hand side of the doorway.





The church interior (right) looking to the altar and (below) to the west end and the organ.












Font (left and below):

Early Victorian Gothic large,
octagonal with cusped
and finialed nodding ogees
to each panel.

Sculpted by Simon Rowe (1843).









In the north aisle is the tomb of Sir John Acland who died in 1613.

His effigy (right) is clothed in armour and his two wives kneel behind the Corinthian columns.

Sir John Acland lies on his side propped up on one elbow on a tomb half-chest and the panels are heavily decorated with cartouches, putti and fruit.

This monument is considered 'as one of the most sumptuous of its date in Devon'.









Set on the north wall is a carved and painted tablet showing a couple kneeling at a prie-dieu (prayer desk) and pictured here (left and below).

The inscription (in part) reads:
"The tombe and monument of Henry Burrough, Gent, who dyed the XIIth December 1605, and Elizabeth his wife, daughter of George Reynell of Malston, Esq., who founded xii (12) almes houses in Broadclist and gave weekely mayntenance to the poore ......... and provided viii (8) sermons (which) should be here yearely preached for theire better instruction".

Burrough (also known as Burrows) founded the Burrough's Almshouses in Broadclyst which have latterly been rebuilt and are still in use.









buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes